Space optimizations of globals and statics

PATTEEUW@etcv01.eld.ford.com
Wed, 3 May 1995 17:16:19 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Space optimizations of globals and statics PATTEEUW@etcv01.eld.ford.com (1995-05-03)
Re: Space optimizations of globals and statics austin@cs.wisc.edu (1995-05-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: PATTEEUW@etcv01.eld.ford.com
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 17:16:19 GMT

When building embedded applications, optimization of space (eliminating
unused memory between global and or static variables/aggregates by
reordering them) is obviously very important. One compiler vendor I have
spoken with told me that they don't do this because the source code for
certain "UNIX utilities" actually makes assumption about the order of
variables. (I hope this is an old practice and that no one programs in
this manner any more.)

My question is, what do other compilers do (ie. do they reorder for space
optimization or do they leave the order alone) ?

Jack Patteeuw