Need a C frontend/parser giving a high-level intermediate code

Anne Haxthausen <ah@id.dtu.dk>
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 15:49:19 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need a C frontend/parser giving a high-level intermediate code ah@id.dtu.dk (Anne Haxthausen) (1995-04-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Anne Haxthausen <ah@id.dtu.dk>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 15:49:19 GMT

Could you recommend a C frontend or parser?

I am going to make a translator from C to a static dataflow graph language
called TaoDFG, and therefore I need a C frontend/parser which given
a C program gives me an intermediate representation of the program.

It should have certain properties:

    1. The intermediate representation should be high-level
          containing structured statements (if statements, loops etc.).
          The frontend must not convert C constructs to low level constructs
          like conditional jumps.
          In other words, the intermediate representation should be close to
          the abstract syntax trees for C, but it would be nice if the
          intermediate language was smaller.

    2. It should be easy to attach my own backend (it should not be necessary to
          write a parser for the intermediate language).

I have already considered lcc, RTL and SUIF, however, they are too low level.
(At a first glance SUIF looks high level, because it provides if statements
and loops, however the conditions of these contain conditional jumps.)

Any advice would be appreciated very much.

Anne Haxthausen
Department of Computer Science
The Technical University of Denmark

e-mail: ah@id.dtu.dk