Re: Compling a large app with -g

ewt@ladybird.oit.unc.edu (Erik Troan)
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 16:37:31 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compling a large app with -g richbros@on.bell.ca (1995-04-04)
Re: Compling a large app with -g ewt@ladybird.oit.unc.edu (1995-04-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ewt@ladybird.oit.unc.edu (Erik Troan)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 16:37:31 GMT

Richard Brosseau <richbros@on.bell.ca> wrote:

>My question is: why in the past 10 years has no progress been made on the
>UNIX side of debugging information? If I'm wrong in assuming this, whose
>complier/linker/debugger will allow me to compile everything in debug mode?
>
>The company that will allow this will surely make a bundle...

Funny you decided to port your SunOS app to Windows NT instead of Solaris,
or you would have found the same ability there. The Solaris ELF based
tools (adb, dbx, acc, etc) all just leave debug stabs in the object (.o)
file and place a reference to the objects in the executable. That keeps
the final executable almost as small as the nondebug version.

Erik
--
Erik Troan = ewt@sunsite.unc.edu = http://sunsite.unc.edu/ewt/