Compiler positions available for week ending April 2

compilers-jobs@iecc.com
Sun, 2 Apr 1995 13:00:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler positions available for week ending April 2 compilers@iecc.com (2000-04-03)
Compiler positions available for week ending April 2 compilers@iecc.com (comp.compilers) (2006-04-03)
Compiler positions available for week ending April 2 compilers-jobs@iecc.com (1995-04-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,misc.jobs.offered
From: compilers-jobs@iecc.com
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 13:00:00 GMT

This is a digest of ``help wanted'' and ``position available'' messages
received at comp.compilers during the preceding week. Messages must
advertise a position having something to do with compilers and must also
conform to the guidelines periodically posted in misc.jobs.offered.
Positions that remain open may be re-advertised once a month. To respond
to a job offer, send mail to the author of the message. To submit a
message, mail it to compilers@iecc.com.

-------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 23:14:15 GMT
From: Santosh Pande <sspande@monsoon.cs.ohiou.edu>
Subject: Graduate Assistantships Available - Parallelizing Compilers

Several teaching and research assistantships are available in the Computer
Science division of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS)
department at Ohio University (for details about the department,
the university etc. see the brief description at the end of the mail).
We invite highly motivated students with
want to pursue the state of the art research in the area of
Parallelizing Compilers. The research in this area is currently
supported by the National Science Foundation.

ALL ASSISTANTSHIPS COME WITH FULL TUITION WAIVERS.

Preference will be given to Ph.D. students. However, we also
strongly encourage good Masters' students to apply who could possibly
continue their studies towards Ph.D.

The broad topic of the current research is : `Program Partitioning
and Scheduling on Distributed Memory Systems'. The research will
involve developing a strong theoretical framework for the above topic
followed by its implementation in a compiler backend to validate the
findings. Several challenging and innovative research directions make
this work both theoretically as well as practically interesting.

Excellent facilities exist at Ohio University which include a state
of the art Parallel Computing Laboratory, access to Ohio
Supercomputing Center and several National Supercomputing Facilities.
In addition the department has several SPARCstations, a multi-media
lab, and an internetworking lab.

Interested students are supposed to have a strong background
(both theory and practice) in the area of Parallelizing Compilers.
In addition, a good GPA, letters of references and high amount
of motivation will be added strengths.

Apply IMMEDIATELY with one page resume and one page research plan to:

Dr. Santosh Pande
Graduate Chairman
Department of Computer Science
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701

E-mail : sspande@monsoon.cs.ohiou.edu
Fax : 614-593-0406

In addition to the above, several assistantships are available in
the area of Multi-media. Those interested in pursuing this research,
please contact:

Dr. Venkat Gudivada
Department of Computer Science
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701

E-mail : vng@gudivada.cs.ohiou.edu
Fax : 614-593-0406

About the Department:

The EECS department is the largest department in the College of Engineering
and has about 32 faculty members. It offers B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. programs.
Active research programs in Computer Science division include
Parallel and Distributed Computing, Multi-media Information
Systems, Internetworking and Algorithms and Complexity Theory.

About the University:

Ohio University (OU) is the first institution of higher learning in the
northwest territory and was chartered by the state of Ohio in 1804. OU is a
major comprehensive state university in Ohio and offers undergraduate
degrees in 250 majors in ten colleges. There are about 19,000 students
enrolled in the main campus (Athens). About 3,000 students enroll in a
variety of master's and doctoral programs and the College of Osteopathic
Medicine. OU was designated as a Research II University recently by Carnegie
Foundation.

About the City:

OU is located in Athens. Athens is the second oldest settlement in Ohio and
is located in the scenic setting of Appalachian hills of southeastern Ohio.
The community has a population of approximately 21,000, and provides an
exceptionally pleasing atmosphere for University life. Winters
are mild and summers very pleasant! Skiing, ice-fishing are some of the
favorite winter outdoors and biking, white-water rafting are some
of the summer favorites!

-------------------------------

From: KJS@spi.com (KJS)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 9:09:38 CST
Subject: Production Compiler developer (Houston)

PRODUCTION EXPERIENCE in compiler construction REQUIRED
Near Houston, Texas
Develop leading edge compiler technology and development tool products to
support our modern high-performance microprocessors. We are seeking skilled
Computer Scientists to help us meet the challenge of providing the world's
best optimizing compilers, assemblers and source debuggers for a wide range
of architectures.
In today's world of RISC, on-chip parallelism, superscalar execution, and
customized instruction sets, development tools such as optimizing compilers
and source-level debuggers are just as important as the processors
themselves. We are finding solutions for these challenges through active
research and hands-on development in several areas of technology, including:
rapidly retargetable compilers- instruction scheduling- register allocation-
software pipelining and other loop optimization- interprocedural
optimization- rapidly retargetable assemblers- algebraic and other modern
assembler paradigms- assembly code compactors- architecture evaluation- real
time debug multiprocessing- debug modern validation strategies- advanced
customer support strategies.

We are not simply thinking about these topics or conducting experiments, we
are implementing these capabilities and delivering them to thousands of
users who need them. Our customers use our products to develop trend-setting
applications like digital cellular telephones, high quality consumer
electronics, advanced imaging and graphics systems and anti-skid braking
systems to name just a few.

If you want to apply your Computer Science background in a practical
engineering environment, if you like to program in C and you're good at it,
if you want to work on the industry's most advanced compiler and debugger
technology, and you want a relaxed atmosphere that encourages independent
thinking, then this is the job for you. We're looking for these
qualifications:
BS or MS in Computer Science- Knowledge of programming in C and assembly
language- Familiarity with UNIX and DOS- Familiarity with several
development and debug environments-
  Citizenship/Permanent Resident

Karl Skadowski
Scientific Placement, Inc.
POBox 19949
Houston, TX 77224-9949
Voice 713-496-6100
Fax 713-496-6802
Internet kjs@spi.com

Please refer to JO# JO3420KJS in your response

Scientific Placement specializes in Macintosh, Windows and Unix commercial
product development experience. Our offices are in Boston, the Bay Area,
and Tennessee, with our corporate headquarters in Houston. We track these
job markets on a national basis. Our clients range from small startups to
larger well-known companies that develop shrink-wrap products

Resume Formats: Ascii text via Email preferred. Macintosh or PC formats are
OK via Email (binhex). Please do not send LaTex or Postscript. Faxes should
be set on a fine setting if possible. US Mail on 3.5 inch diskette is OK
too.