Re: "mini" pascal by Wirth

davidm@Rational.COM (David Moore)
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 00:15:06 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
"mini" pascal by Wirth brettk@worf.infonet.net (1995-03-03)
Re: "mini" pascal by Wirth klaeren@lesbains.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (1995-03-07)
Re: "mini" pascal by Wirth preston@tera.com (1995-03-12)
Re: "mini" pascal by Wirth feliks@carlstedt.se (1995-03-14)
Re: "mini" pascal by Wirth gchunt@cs.rochester.edu (1995-03-15)
Re: "mini" pascal by Wirth adrian@platon.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1995-03-20)
Re: "mini" pascal by Wirth davidm@Rational.COM (1995-03-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: davidm@Rational.COM (David Moore)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 00:15:06 GMT

adrian@platon.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk (A Johnstone) writes:

>BTW an interesting problem we had was that at first the [Pascal-S] parser
>wouldn't work. Like most of Wirth's compilers the keywords are kept in
>an array in alphabetical order and then each alphanumeic ID is checked
>using a binary search on the table. Unfortunately on the machine that
>Pascal-S was developed for DOWNTO came before DO in the lexicographic
>ordering

Yes. It was developed on a Control Data Cyber, which used a six bit
character set.

The alphabetics were 1 through 32. Zero was 33. Blank was 55. (All
these in good old-fashioned octal, of course)

I believe Pascal-S had no pointers. It is twenty years since I looked
at it, so I could be mis-remembering. However, it was written in
standard Pascal, in which allocation of dynamic sized objects is
hard, so I expect my memory is correct on this.

Pascal-S was a compile-and-go program. It compiled into an internal form
and then executed the program. This used to be quite useful on Cybers
which were disk bound when time sharing.