Re: Is there a free P-code interpreter?

sethml@avarice.ugcs.caltech.edu (Seth LaForge)
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 08:43:12 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is there a free P-code interpreter? mircea@sina.tcamc.uh.edu (1995-02-06)
Re: Is there a free P-code interpreter? yeung@reed.edu (1995-02-08)
Re: Is there a free P-code interpreter? sethml@avarice.ugcs.caltech.edu (1995-02-09)
Re: Is there a free P-code interpreter? sethml@dice.ugcs.caltech.edu (1995-02-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: sethml@avarice.ugcs.caltech.edu (Seth LaForge)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 08:43:12 GMT

Mircea Draghicescu <mircea@sina.tcamc.uh.edu> wrote:
>I am looking for a free P-code interpreter to be used in a compiler
>course. In fact, any stack machine emulator suitable for implementing
>Pascal will do.

Check out Chapter 15, "An Example of a Compiler", of _What Computing
is All About_, by Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut (published by
Springer-Verlag, 1993). It's the text used in CS 20, the advanced
CS class here at Caltech. I happen to be taking the class. Anyway,
the chapter describes a full stack machine, and has a stack-machine
interpreter in Pascal and a compiler which compiles from Pascal-S (a
simple variant of Pascal) to the stack language.

I don't really recommend the book; it's extremely dense and hard to
understand. If you want the text of the compiler and stack-machine
interpreter, send me email; I can probably get ahold of it on disk.

Seth LaForge