lex|awk?: HP f77 to ansi f77

FMDD07A@prodigy.com (Charles Hurlocker)
Thu, 2 Feb 1995 03:36:28 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
lex|awk?: HP f77 to ansi f77 FMDD07A@prodigy.com (1995-02-02)
Re: lex|awk?: HP f77 to ansi f77 jbc@PrimeNet.Com (1995-02-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: FMDD07A@prodigy.com (Charles Hurlocker)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 03:36:28 GMT

I need to convert about 300 HP Fortran 77 source files to ansi standard
Fortran. These sources were written using HP's "extensions" that include
multiple statements/line, octal constants, ect., etc. I'm neither a lex
nor awk user, hence I'm considering both to solve my problem. It appears
that lex may be the best solution to use for translating these files.
I'd appreciate any thoughts or "lessons learned" regarding what might be
the best approach to use. My primary requirement is to get from "a" to
"b" in the shortest time. Thanks.
[Really lexing Fortran is quite a trick, but I'd guess that a tool that
assumed that e.g., words had spaces between them would be possible to hack up
and would even be useful. -John]