Re: XVT?

thutt@clark.net (Taylor Hutt)
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 04:16:45 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
XVT? wjohnson@glue.umd.edu (1995-01-23)
Re: XVT? thutt@clark.net (1995-01-23)
Re: XVT? michael@vertigo.bc.ca (1995-01-27)
Re: XVT? piet.wauters@esat.kuleuven.ac.be (1995-01-28)
Crossplatform GUI (not again?!) Re: XVT? lukner@che.utexas.edu (1995-02-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: thutt@clark.net (Taylor Hutt)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 04:16:45 GMT

William Johnson <wjohnson@glue.umd.edu> wrote:
>We need to produce educational programs for use on a variety of computer
>platforms. Someone recommended using XVT to develop applications because
>it could compile the code for Mac, PC and Unix. Does anyone have
>experience with this (or similar) program(s)? Where can I get XVT and
>how much does it cost? Thanks.

XVT does not compile the code -- it is a (so-called) portable GUI library.
In reality, it's somewhat of a red-herring, since it does nothing to help
you write C code that is going to compile on all those different
platforms with all those different compilers.

The place I work just rejected XVT due to the costly licensing
arrangment. It was about $17K (yes, K) for the X/Windows license.

Taylor Hutt