Re: Need WWW or FTP addr. for information on alias/pointer-analysis

Joe Hummel <jhummel@cy4.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Sat, 10 Dec 1994 19:37:30 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need WWW or FTP addr. for information on alias/pointer-analysis dduck@diku.dk (1994-12-05)
Need WWW or FTP addr. for information on alias/pointer-analysis donawa@bnr.ca (chris (c.d.) donawa) (1994-12-10)
Re: Need WWW or FTP addr. for information on alias/pointer-analysis jhummel@cy4.ICS.UCI.EDU (Joe Hummel) (1994-12-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Joe Hummel <jhummel@cy4.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 1994 19:37:30 GMT

Anders Sewerin Johansen <dduck@diku.dk> wrote:
> ... and have discovered the need for alias and pointer assignments
>analasys. We do have a few papers on the subject, but we'd really like to
>get as much information on the subject as possible.

A good place to start would be with the '92 and '94 proceedings of PLDI
(ACM conf on Prog. Lang. Design and Implementation). In particular,
look for papers by Landi et. al., Hendren et. al., A. Deutsch, and
(warning: plug for our work) Hummel et. al. If you separate the pointer
analysis problem into two sub-problems --- pointers to named vars
(stack and globals) vs. pointers to anonymous memory (heap) --- the
papers by Landi and Hendren discuss accurate solutions to the first
sub-problem (and conservatively deal with the second), Deutsch proposes
a more accurate solution to the second sub-problem (while also working
on the first), and I propose an even more accurate solution to the
second sub-problem (and ignore the first).

Note that a good deal of work has been done in this area by a number
of other researchers; see the related work sections (in particular
see PLDI '94, where I think both Deutsch and Hummel do a nice job :-)
for refs to other work. I know Henry Baker has some of his stuff
online (ftp.netcom.com, pub/hbaker?).

The work by Hendren et. al. can be FTPed from wally.cs.mcgill.ca,
look around in /pub/docs/memos. Our work can be FTPed from
ftp.ics.uci.edu, cd to /pub/jhummel (pldi92.ps.Z and pldi94.ps.Z
for starters).

Cheers,

    - joe
--