[Q] Compiler Generators

haroldw@info.win.tue.nl (H.T.G. Weffers)
Thu, 3 Nov 1994 15:25:16 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[Q] Compiler Generators haroldw@info.win.tue.nl (1994-11-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: haroldw@info.win.tue.nl (H.T.G. Weffers)
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 15:25:16 GMT

Hello,

Currently I am involved in a small project that investigates the
possibility for the construction of a compiler for the language PEP by
means of an (semi-)automatic compiler-generator.

PEP is a language for real time data aquisition and experiment control.
Usually, PEP-programs are interpreted by means of an interpreter running
on an M68000 MPS030 machine. A few years ago, a compiler (which can only
compile a certain class of PEP-constructs) was developed in PEP itself.
This compiler was constructed by hand and thus is corrective and adaptive
maintainance difficult and definitely not formal.

The compiler only accepts syntax correct PEP program. These programs are
then compiled into a certain format using the compiler. Then, this format
has to be run through the INTROL assembler which is only available on a
PC. Then, the resulting M68000 MPS030 machine code has to be transferred
to the M68000 MPS030. This process is quite cumbersome.

Therefore, I am looking for tools that aid in the specification and the
generation of such a compiler. Then, the entire compilation process can
take place on the PC. I know of the existence of tool sets such as
Lex/Yacc, PCCTS and Cocktail. However, as far as I can see at this time,
I also need to be able to specify certain hardware specific constraint
such as the registers that are not to be used or the set of registers that
should be used and possibily some kind of restrictions with respect to the
usage of stack and heap memory.

Do you know of a tool set that supports such kind of specific
requirements, or do you know of related projects? Please, let me know.

Thank you very much in advance,

Harold Weffers,

post-masters Software Technology program,
Department of Mathematics and Computing Science,
Eindhoven University of Technology,
HG 6.57, P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB EINDHOVEN, The Netherlands
Telephone: +31 40 47 4333
Internet: haroldw@win.tue.nl /_/ / /
H.T.G.Weffers@stud.tue.nl / /. /_/_/.