Re: Sun compilers: acc vs. gcc?

cord2403@cslabs2c4.engr.ccny.cuny.edu ()
Thu, 20 Oct 1994 07:03:29 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Sun compilers: acc vs. gcc? cooper@holly.imsi.com (1994-10-01)
Re: Sun compilers: acc vs. gcc? harold@forsythe.stanford.edu (1994-10-03)
Re: Sun compilers: acc vs. gcc? rfg@netcom.com (1994-10-05)
Re: Sun compilers: acc vs. gcc? J.C.Highfield@loughborough.ac.uk (1994-10-06)
Re: Sun compilers: acc vs. gcc? khb@Eng.Sun.COM (1994-10-07)
Re: Sun compilers: acc vs. gcc? cord2403@cslabs2c4.engr.ccny.cuny.edu (1994-10-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: cord2403@cslabs2c4.engr.ccny.cuny.edu ()
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 07:03:29 GMT

cooper@imsi.com writes:
> Can anyone offer a comparison of Gcc vs. Acc, sun's ansi compiler? I'd
> like to know if there is any reason to buy Acc, if I'm happy with Gcc.

Well, my opinion is that of a "student" that had to use an ANSI compiler
due to self-imposed preference during a C class over the summer.

In our network of Sun workstations, we have ACC, CC, and GCC.
At the time I was taking my class, I had access to GCC 2.5.8 in a Sun
from a different school, GCC 2.5.8 from home, Linux, and GCC 2.5.7 from
said network.
As I said, I always tried to force myself to write ANSI code.
What I found was that, whereas some of my code would work on SOME of the
GCC's above, some of it did NOT work in all three.
ACC was always consistent in that if my code worked in ANY GCC, it would
work in ACC. The converse of this, not being true.
I found all kinds of problems while switching back and forth between
versions of GCC..
Alas, we upgraded GCC to 2.6.0 here and it took no time for us to find a
bug. :-/

Bottom line, as someone put it in one sentence, is that ACC is more
bug-free than the GCC's I have been exposed to.

This is to the best of my knowledge, since one really did not poke into
the depths of either compiler looking for bugs..

my 3.1415926535
        1 + 3.1415926535
                ----------------------------- cord2403@cslab.engr.ccny.cuny.edu
                  1 + 3.1515926535 ........... cents worth