Polymorphism vs. Overloading

gdevivo@conicit.ve (Gabriela O. de Vivo)
Sat, 22 Oct 1994 00:58:06 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Polymorphism vs. overloading johnson@cs.uiuc.edu (Ralph Johnson) (1990-09-09)
Re: Polymorphism vs. overloading norman@a.cs.okstate.edu (1990-09-12)
Re: Polymorphism vs. overloading sakkinen@jyu.fi (1990-09-14)
Polymorphism vs. Overloading gdevivo@conicit.ve (1994-10-22)
Re: Polymorphism vs. Overloading jhallen@world.std.com (1994-10-22)
Polymorphism vs. Overloading nandu@cs.clemson.edu (1994-10-27)
Re: Polymorphism vs. Overloading norman@flaubert.bellcore.com (1994-10-24)
Re: Polymorphism vs. Overloading ichudov@wiltel.com (1994-10-28)
Re: Polymorphism vs. Overloading strohm@mksol.dseg.ti.com (1994-10-28)
Re: Polymorphism vs. Overloading ryer@dsd.camb.inmet.com (1994-10-28)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: gdevivo@conicit.ve (Gabriela O. de Vivo)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 1994 00:58:06 GMT

Dear group.-

Last week I was invited to join a Thesis (MsC) presentation.
At some point a question raised about the exact difference between
Polymorphism and Overloading.
Well, it seemed that everyone had an intuitive idea about the difference
but none could state a formal and clear distinction. The most of efforts
ended in pragmatics examples of well known languages constructions (some
kind of tautological explanation trying to point out that a virtual method
of a class was an obvious candidate for Polymorphism !!).
There were some weak intents too to state the difference based on the
application scope of a polymorphic function (Universal) vs. the more (a
priori) restricted one of a overloadable operation
(perhaps, a more promising approach).
Now, I wonder if some of you could help me by stating more precisely (and
rigourosly) the exact nature of the difference. I am not looking for a long
and very-formal dissertation. Few (specific and direct) arguments will be
OK (and very welcome!!).

Thanks group..

      Gabriela O. de Vivo
gdevivo@dino.conicit.ve