How to yacc the Berkeley Pascal?

Erkki Ruohtula <eru@tele.nokia.fi>
Sat, 8 Oct 1994 15:15:07 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to yacc the Berkeley Pascal? eru@tele.nokia.fi (Erkki Ruohtula) (1994-10-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Erkki Ruohtula <eru@tele.nokia.fi>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 1994 15:15:07 GMT

I recently bought a source CD-ROM published by Infomagic, which among
other things, contained the free part of BSD distribution. This included
the sources of the Berkeley Pascal system. "Interesting" , I thought,
"that's one of the old compilers I had to fight with as student, let's
see if I can get at least the interpreter part working". However, it
turned out, that in order to compile it, a modified version of Yacc is
needed. I understand the changes are related to error reporting.
This version of Yacc was not included, probably because it was based
on the non-free AT&T Yacc.

Does anyone know, what exactly was changed? Documents? Maybe the
same changes could be made to Bison or Berkeley Yacc, and maybe they
would have other uses besides exercises in software archeology.

Erkki Ruohtula / Nokia Telecommunications Oy
eru@tele.nokia.fi / P.O. Box 33 FIN-02601 Espoo, Finland