DJGPP flex247.exe vs flex238.exe - generated lexer hanging.

Jeremy_Norbury.LAX1B@xerox.com
Thu, 6 Oct 1994 18:26:41 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DJGPP flex247.exe vs flex238.exe - generated lexer hanging. Jeremy_Norbury.LAX1B@xerox.com (1994-10-06)
Re: DJGPP flex247.exe vs flex238.exe - generated lexer hanging. robert@par.univie.ac.at (1994-10-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Jeremy_Norbury.LAX1B@xerox.com
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 18:26:41 GMT

I have a flex/yacc parser which I compile and run both on an RS/6000
AIX 3.2.5 and MSDOS. I use the pre-built MSDOS version in DJGPP (
flx2xxbn.zip ) for testing at home. About a month or so ago I went from
flex 2.3.8 to 2.4.7 simply because it was the newest version. Everything
went OK, ran flex on the parser.l, compiled and it ran fine under AIX.
Yesterday, went to do this at home, using flex247.exe and the generated
program, when compiled same as usual with Borland C++ 3.0 (large memory
model) hangs my machine dead.
I switched back to flex238.exe, everything OK.
I compared the lexyy.c's generated and there are, obviously,
differences. Nothing radical though.
The parser.l file is 315 lines BTW, hardly huge.
Does this ring any bells with anyone ? Anyone with the same/similar
problem ?
It should be noted that I can generate smaller flex programs
without problems. This suggests some sort of memory problem.

The source has
Thanks
                Jeremy Norbury
                Xerox Corporation. Printing Systems Division.
                El Segundo, CA (310) 333 3370
                jnorb.lax1b@xerox.com
[In situations like this I almost invariably find that I've flushed a
dangling pointer problem of some sort in my own code. -John]