Re: COBOL Conversion

mabp@bga.com (Michael Parkes)
Sat, 10 Sep 1994 16:15:39 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
COBOL Conversion davidn@rmf41.usace.army.mil (1994-08-28)
Re: COBOL Conversion rfg@netcom.com (1994-08-29)
Re: COBOL Conversion mabp@bga.com (1994-09-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mabp@bga.com (Michael Parkes)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 1994 16:15:39 GMT

David Neubart (davidn@rmf41.usace.army.mil) wrote:
: Has anyone had the onerous task of converting COBOL to Ada?
: If so, what automation tools (if any) did you use and how
: well did it work? Also any pointers on manual conversion
: procedures that will/might make the conversion as painless
: as possible?

Ho, Ho, Ho,

I develop COBOL compilers and my suggestion is just surrender and
start to rewrite the code. The semantics of COBOL are just too complex
for there to be a nice easy solution. If you have got over 1,000,000
lines of source then I suggest you contact one of the vendors (e.g.
LIANT) and see if they can help you with some sort of custom tool.

Best Wishes !!!