Compiler Generator Usage Inquiry

jansenpg@prl.philips.nl (P.G. Jansen)
Mon, 22 Aug 1994 15:01:02 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Generator Usage Inquiry jansenpg@prl.philips.nl (1994-08-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jansenpg@prl.philips.nl (P.G. Jansen)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 15:01:02 GMT

Dear Compiler Generator Users,

About a month ago, I posted a request on this newsgroup to send me the name
of the compiler generator you were using at that moment. I got 109 answers
mentioning 175 compiler generators. By way of thanks I promised to post the
results of the inquiry. The final compiler generator usage ranking has become:

  1. AT&T Yacc (13.7%)
  2. Flex (11.4%)
  3. ELI System (10.3%)
  4. Lex ( 9.7%)
  5. Bison ( 8.6%)
  6. PCCTS ( 7.4%)
  7. Berkeley Yacc ( 6.9%)
  8. GMD/Cocktail ( 4.6%)
  9. Yacc++ ( 2.9%)
10. Coco/r ( 2.9%)

More details about the inquiry can be found in the report "A Compiler
Generator Usage Inquiry". Besides some numerical information about the
world-wide use of compiler generators, this report contains a more technical
comparison between compiler generators based on the answers to the inquiry.
Please send me a mail if you want a copy of the report. Those who already
asked me for a copy via e-mail need not to send me another mail.

I would like to thank everybody who responded to the inquiry.

Best regards,

Paul Jansen
Philips Research Laboratories
Eindhoven