Re: Would you like a free C to netlist translator?

steve@cegelecproj.co.uk (Steve_Kilbane)
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 13:41:07 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Would you like a free C to netlist translator? chris@lslsun7.epfl.ch (1994-08-10)
Re: Would you like a free C to netlist translator? steve@cegelecproj.co.uk (1994-08-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: steve@cegelecproj.co.uk (Steve_Kilbane)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 13:41:07 GMT

Christian Iseli writes:
> [...] a student here has written a compiler that
> translates a subset of C (only one data type, functions, for loops and
> conditionals) into a netlist for ViewLogic (a wirelist file) [...]
[...]
> The interest to describe circuitry in C lies, for me, in the fact of
> being able to simulate it (or better said, to emulate it) as part of a
> larger C++ (or C) program. That's why this compiler came into being.

Interesting. As part of an ESPRIT project, I've been producing a compiler
for the Function Block graphical language described by IEC1131-3 (the
project has also produced an X-based editor for writing such programs). In
addition to producing code for a fictitious industrial controller, the
compiler generates C which can be used for simulation. I've found that
the most rewarding means of providing this simulation to be to use the
generated C to implement a new Tcl/Tk command, "iec_scan", which performs
forcing of inputs, execution of a single scan of the program, and monitoring
of outputs. This method makes it *really* easy to produce an impressive
simulation.

Steve
--
<Steve_Kilbane@cegelecproj.co.uk>