Sparse graphs?

"V.C. SREEDHAR" <sreedhar@flo.cs.mcgill.ca>
Wed, 10 Aug 1994 13:10:16 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Sparse graphs? sreedhar@flo.cs.mcgill.ca (V.C. SREEDHAR) (1994-08-10)
Re: Sparse graphs? preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-08-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: "V.C. SREEDHAR" <sreedhar@flo.cs.mcgill.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 13:10:16 GMT

Hi

How many of you are seriously using Sparse Evaluation Graphs
for data flow analysis? (Please ignore SSA form
and the related DFG, VDG , I know the story here;-) )

Only two persons that I know of have mentioned that they
use SEGs (to bit-vectors) in their work
Of course, one is the original guys (Ron Cytron and the gang)
And the other is Preston Briggs (Preston, please correct
me if I am wrong ;-) ). Preston mentions in his thesis that
he ("preffers") SEGs to bit-vectors for live-variable
anaysis (for reasons discussed in his thesis).

I know that SEGs are more
general than bit-vectors (also termed as slot-wise analysis).
Dhamdhere, Rosen and Zadeck in their PLDI'92 paper
show how to perform sparse evaluation using bit-vectors.

Are their any quantitative analysis that shows that one
is better than the other?

Thanks a lot

Sreedhar

PS: For those you who are not aware of SEGs, please read the paper
by Choi et. al. in POPL'91.