Re: papers on symbolic dependency analysis

laurent.Challier@inria.fr ()
Mon, 1 Aug 1994 11:54:37 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
papers on symbolic dependency analysis gxj@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Graham Jones) (1994-07-29)
Re: papers on symbolic dependency analysis laurent.Challier@inria.fr (1994-08-01)
Re: papers on symbolic dependency analysis smryan@netcom.com (1994-08-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: laurent.Challier@inria.fr ()
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 1994 11:54:37 GMT

Graham Jones <gxj@dcs.ed.ac.uk> writes:
|> In M. Haghighat and C. Polychronopoulos paper "Symbolic Dependence
|> Analysis for High Performance Parallelising Compilers, Advances in
|> Languages and Compilers for Parallel Processing, 1991" the authors
|> indicate the large number of arrays with symbolic subscripts. Classical
|> dependency tests fail in the presence of symbolic terms but can be
|> assisted by global constant propagation, forward and induction variable
|> substitution. Does anyone know of the number of cases that still remain
|> unanalysable after these optimisations have taken place ? Given that some
|> subsripts can still not be analysed, we need to develop symbolic
|> dependency tests to handle these cases. Does anyone know of any current
|> work and useful papers in this area ?

I don't know about " the number of cases that still remain unanalysable
after these optimisations have taken place" ; one useful source would be
"Effectiveness of data dep. analysis" by Maydan & Lam, or Maydan's PhD
thesis (ftp suif.stanford.edu, anonymous, etc).

Feautrier's PIP ("Parametric Integer Programming", 1988, or "Dataflow
analysis of array and scalar references", IJPP '91 no 1) runs (from the
beginning) in symbolic mode ; Pugh's work (Omega test and following - ftp
cs.umd.edu) also covers symbolic mode.

Then, you have Thomasset & Lichnewsky's "Introducing symbolic problem
solving techniques in the dependence testing phase of a vectorizer" in
Supercomp'88.

Hope this helps... Thanks for posting other info.

Laurent Challier.