Languages that give "hints" to the compiler

Joe Hummel <jhummel@cy4.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Mon, 18 Jul 1994 05:39:24 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Languages that give "hints" to the compiler jhummel@cy4.ICS.UCI.EDU (Joe Hummel) (1994-07-18)
Re: Languages that give "hints" to the compiler wisej@acf4.nyu.edu (1994-07-29)
Re: Languages that give "hints" to the compiler tgl@netcom.com (1994-07-19)
Re: Languages that give "hints" to the compiler jfisher@hplabsz.hpl.hp.com (1994-07-21)
Re: Languages that give "hints" to the compiler rfg@netcom.com (1994-07-31)
Languages that give "hints" to the compiler ssimmons@convex.com (1994-08-01)
Re: Languages that give "hints" to the compiler jls@summit.novell.com (1994-08-02)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Joe Hummel <jhummel@cy4.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 05:39:24 GMT

I remember a post in the last year or two that mentioned in passing some
early FORTRAN compilers that allowed hints to be passed on to the
compiler; for example, the likelihood of a branch being taken. The goal
is to allow better optimization by supplying better info to the compiler.
I couldn't track down the post, and was wondering if anyone might have
some refs to work in this area? I'm interested in approaches for allowing
the programmer to supply optimization information to the compiler.

Today, the usual approaches seem to be:
        - comment statements
        - #pragma
        - command-line compiler options/switches
What other approaches have languages or compilers supported?

Thanks for any information you might be able to share. I'll post a
summary if people are interested. Cheers,

    - joe
--
Joe Hummel
ICS Graduate Student, UC Irvine