Re: rearranging code invalidates liveness info

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry G. Baker)
Thu, 16 Jun 1994 14:38:58 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
rearranging code invalidates liveness info fjh@munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1994-06-10)
Re: rearranging code invalidates liveness info preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-06-13)
Re: rearranging code invalidates liveness info cliffc@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-06-13)
rearranging code invalidates liveness info ssimmons@convex.com (1994-06-13)
Re: rearranging code invalidates liveness info newburn@aslan.ece.cmu.edu (1994-06-13)
Re: rearranging code invalidates liveness info mernst@research.microsoft.com (1994-06-15)
Re: rearranging code invalidates liveness info hbaker@netcom.com (1994-06-16)
Re: rearranging code invalidates liveness info cliffc@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-06-16)
Re: rearranging code invalidates liveness info daniel@quilty.stanford.edu (1994-06-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: hbaker@netcom.com (Henry G. Baker)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 14:38:58 GMT

Fergus Henderson <fjh@munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU> asks:

mernst@research.microsoft.com writes:
>As others have pointed out, the traditional approaches are to either rerun
>all analyses after each transformation or to run analyses immediately
>before they are needed. At the other end of the spectrum (requiring much
>more work and potentially saving more effort) is incremental maintenance of
>semantic information, either directly or by rerunning analyses over a small
>affected region in which the semantic information has been invalidated.

You might try separating transformations which invalidate liveness
from those which don't. I have found the study of transformations
which don't affect liveness to be particularly interesting, because
they tend not to copy or destroy information. They also tend not to
affect synchronization in a multi-threaded world.

Unfortunately, I don't have much to report at this stage, so I am
working mainly on intuition.