PowerPC Tools

murrell@austin.ibm.com (Murrell)
Wed, 1 Jun 1994 22:11:05 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
PowerPC Tools murrell@austin.ibm.com (1994-06-01)
PowerPC Tools murrell@austin.ibm.com (1994-06-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: murrell@austin.ibm.com (Murrell)
Originator: murrell@roma01.austin.ibm.com
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 22:11:05 GMT

I'm an architect for a software development toolset IBM is planning in
support of our PowerPC chips. The intended audience for the toolset would
be compiler/assembler writers, operating systems developers, performance
analysts, and system designers.

If you fall into one of the above camps (directly or indirectly), I'd
appreciate your opinions as to what kinds of tools and documentation you'd
like to have us (IBM) provide you to make your life easier for the PowerPC
environment.

Currently, we're considering the following software development tools and
documentation:

DOCUMENTATION

A. "Compiler Construction Guide" (per chip) - chip implementation details
      (dispatch characteristics, functional unit capabilities, pipeline stage
      descriptions, instruction cycle timings, etc.), descriptions of
      scheduling methods, example scheduling scenarios, etc.

B. "System Guide" (per OS) - calling / linkage conventions, application
      binary layout, object module formats, debug information, etc.

C. "Architecture Reference" - contents of PowerPC Architecture Books
      I through III on CD ROM in hypertext format.

TOOLS

D. Architectural Simulator - software simulation of the chip (based on
      the PowerPC Visual Simulator), complete with debugger-style GUI, ability
      to load binaries in a popular object module format, produce human readable
      traces, extensive breakpoint facilities, instruction undo, etc.

E. Cycle Timer - takes traces generated by the architectural simulator and
      provides cycle-resolution pipeline traces, flags stalls, provides
      execution statistics (instructions-per-cycle, MIPS, etc.), cache
      utilization, etc.

F. Reference Compiler - sample functional compiler back-end provided as
      source to demonstrate optimization technologies or to incorporate in
      your own compiler (royalty free). Design and intermediate language
      specs provided as well.

G. Cross Assembler and Linker

H. Symbolic Debugger - also provides register-level access, C/C++
      compatibility, remote-target debug (via serial link, for instance)

I. Low-Level Debugger - attaches via umbilical connection from host to
      JTAG port on target CPU (little or no support system services needed
      on target).

Here's your chance! IBM is all ears, tell us what you want. What's missing
in the above list? What should we discard? What capabilities should we
consider? What platforms should the tools run on? ... You get the idea.

Send your responses to my e-mail: murrell@innerdoor.austin.ibm.com.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave Murrell
PowerPC Development Tools Architecture