Re: Compilers in six hours

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry G. Baker)
Fri, 20 May 1994 13:19:36 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Compilers in six hours grunwald@widget.cs.colorado.edu (1994-05-17)
Re: Compilers in six hours hbaker@netcom.com (1994-05-18)
Compilers in six hours ssimmons@convex.com (1994-05-18)
Compilers in six hours ssimmons@convex.com (1994-05-19)
Re: Compilers in six hours anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1994-05-19)
Re: Compilers in six hours chase@Think.COM (1994-05-19)
Re: Compilers in six hours hbaker@netcom.com (1994-05-20)
Re: Compilers in six hours monnier@di.epfl.ch (Stefan Monnier) (1994-05-22)
Re: Compilers in six hours munk@prl.philips.nl (1994-05-24)
Re: Compilers in six hours li@marcus.cs.umn.edu (1994-05-24)
Re: Compilers in six hours cytron@kato.wustl.edu (1994-05-25)
Re: Compilers in six hours hobbs@gemmax.zko.dec.com (1994-05-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: hbaker@netcom.com (Henry G. Baker)
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 13:19:36 GMT

ssimmons@convex.com (Steve Simmons) writes:
>> 6. Actually doing a good job of machine-language generation nowadays is
>> probably nasty enough to justify a course in itself.

Generating machine-language that works is not difficult, and in many ways
easier than generating C (e.g., in C you have to worry about overrunning
the C compiler's statement length and parser stack limitations, and about
guaranteeing the proper ordering of side-effects). This is especially
true if you have a decent assembly macro system to build your own little
'mini-machine', which has no overlapped operations, no branch delay slots,
etc. The hard part, of course, is to generate machine language that
actually runs faster than the compiled (and optimized) C.

I would imagine that for many students, the problem is that you have to
know the machine language pretty well before you can generate code in it,
and many of the students may not be that experienced in assembler.