Language for byte-code-compiling?

Christopher Zach <cmzach@sztma.tu-graz.ac.at>
Fri, 20 May 1994 08:11:16 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Language for byte-code-compiling? cmzach@sztma.tu-graz.ac.at (Christopher Zach) (1994-05-20)
Re: Language for byte-code-compiling? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1994-05-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Christopher Zach <cmzach@sztma.tu-graz.ac.at>
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 08:11:16 GMT

I am working on a compiler (translator) project for my own programming
language, and I want to split the compiler into a front end (language ->
byte code) and a back end (byte-code -> C, Asm or interpreted). I would
like to know a good idea for the intermediate language, which should be
easy to translate into C with good optimization.

Usual stack languages (e.g. Emacs Lisp byte code compiler) are easy, but I
think it is rather difficult to translate the byte code to C with good
optimization (because C is not a postfix language).

Thanks in advance,

    -cmz-

Christopher Michael Zach
Stolletzweg 6
A-8435 Wagna
++43 3452/6260
E-Mail: cmzach@sztma.tu-graz.ac.at
[The classic Ritchie PDP-11 compiler was two passes. The first pass turned
C into postfix, and the second pass turned postfix into assembler. It's
easy for a back end to read in the postfix and create a tree on which
optimizations can be performed. -John]