Re: Format for flow-graphs

preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Wed, 18 May 1994 14:17:55 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Format for flow-graphs chm@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (1994-05-17)
Re: Format for flow-graphs preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-05-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 14:17:55 GMT

>I'm looking for a standardized (file-)format for in/output of flow-graphs.

You might check out the work on IDL (Interface Description Language).
The basic paper is

    title="{IDL}: Sharing Intermediate Representations",
    author="David Alex Lamb",
    pages="297--318",
    journal=toplas,
    year=1987,
    month=jul,
    volume=9,
    number=3

You'll also want to look at

Sigplan Notices 22(11), Novmber 1987

which is a special issue devoted to IDL.

There are also a couple of books on the idea, one by Richard Snodgrass
and one by (I believe) John Nestor. Snodgrass also has a system,
Scorpion, that was once available via anonymous ftp from the
University of Arizona. Additionally, I believe Sun Labs has announced
a similar system, also available for anonymous ftp. Unfortunately, I
don't have a record of the adresses, but perhaps others will post the
necessary pointers.

Preston Briggs
[Versions of the Sun IDL system has been announced in comp.compilers
several times, most recently in message 94-03-055. -John]