Re: Compiler-related bibliographic databases available

preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Fri, 22 Apr 1994 15:46:46 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler-related bibliographic databases available golding@hplms2.hpl.hp.com (1994-04-19)
Re: Compiler-related bibliographic databases available preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-04-20)
Re: Compiler-related bibliographic databases available preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-04-21)
Re: Compiler-related bibliographic databases available cts@stpb.soft.net (1994-04-21)
Re: Compiler-related bibliographic databases available bwilson@mystery.stanford.edu (1994-04-22)
Re: Compiler-related bibliographic databases available preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-04-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 15:46:46 GMT

>> Additional bibliographic files that might interest compiler writers
>> are available for anonymous ftp from cs.rice.edu, in the directory
>> public/preston/bib.
>
>None of these bibliographic files mention about the availability of
>the papers via anonymous ftp. Also author's E-mail address can be added
>advantage.

You're right. Most of the papers aren't available for ftp. There are
several reasons. Usually the publisher gets the copyright and the
authors agree not to distribute copies without paying royalties
(perhaps by ordering reprints). Also, many of the papers in my bib
files were published before the widespread use (or invention) of the
postscript, ftp, the internet (or even arpanet).

(Go to the library. If they don't have the appropriate journal, press
them to order it or borrow it. This stuff isn't that rare or obscure.)

The same sort of problems arise with addresses (physical or email). I
don't know everyone's address and very few people bother to notify me
when their address changes. Some authors don't have email, some have
retired, others are dead. And some authors would probably prefer to
remain unlisted.

Preston Briggs