Re: C multibyte character encoding

Bruce Hahne <bruce@jise.isl.melco.co.jp>
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 00:23:06 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C multibyte character encoding irwin@Thinkage.On.CA (Irwin Naumann) (1994-04-07)
Re: C multibyte character encoding bruce@jise.isl.melco.co.jp (Bruce Hahne) (1994-04-12)
Re: C multibyte character encoding enedervo@adobe.com (1994-04-12)
re: C multibyte character encoding derek@knosof.uucp (1994-04-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Bruce Hahne <bruce@jise.isl.melco.co.jp>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 00:23:06 GMT

Irwin Naumann (irwin@Thinkage.On.CA) writes:

>My current task is to implement the wide character and multibyte character
>routines (mblen, mbstowcs, mbtowc, wcstomcs, and wctomb) for our C runtime
>library.
>
>We have the Unicode documents that describe one method for wide character
>encoding. I cannot find any literature on multibyte character encoding.

It sounds as if you may not have heard of Ken Lunde's _Understanding
Japanese Information Processing_, available from O'Reilly & Associates.
This book goes into all the gory detail of JIS, SJIS, and EUC encodings
for Japanese, though I believe a large portion of the information is
applicable to other Asian character sets as well. I don't know if this is
the kind of information you're looking for or not. You can email O'Reilly
at bookquestions@ora.com or place an order at order@ora.com.

There's also a fairly new magazine, _Multilingual Computing_, which is
dedicated to providing news and reviews for multilingual software, plus
articles for developers. It seems mostly targetted towards the end user,
though. If anyone needs a contact address, email me and I'll look it up.

Bruce Hahne
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
bruce@jise.isl.melco.co.jp or hahne@acm.org