Building a string translator...

huitinkj@vdp-he.ce.philips.nl (Jeroen Huitink)
Wed, 16 Mar 1994 07:53:30 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Building a string translator... huitinkj@vdp-he.ce.philips.nl (1994-03-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: huitinkj@vdp-he.ce.philips.nl (Jeroen Huitink)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 07:53:30 GMT

Hello,

I am a graduating student in Computer Science from the Eindhoven Polytechnic
in the Netherlands. Right now I am working on my thesis, where I have to build
a compiler.

This tool will have to translate strings, including font information, from
a word processor format (binary) to a special text string format. During this
translation it is important to keep the compiler as flexible as possible, to
serve future exapansion. The number of fonts and the character sets on both
the in- and output-side will change constantly in the future.

To meet these requirements, I see some options. I would like some comments on
them, maybe of someone dealing or having dealt with the same problem, and
maybe someone even has some other alternatives.

1) Constructing one big translation table. The problem here is its size
      Right now it would result in a table of aprox. 800 * 1300 cells.
2) Making an intermediat meta-language, which is not font dependent.
3) Constructing a datastructure, simular to the meta-language. The disadvantage
      would be no possiblilty to read from this.

Looking formward to your replies,

Jeroen Huitink
Philips Consumer Elelctronics, TV laboratories