Summary of setjmp/longjmp responses

meissner@osf.org
Tue, 22 Feb 1994 20:00:11 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
setjmp/longjmp implementations hbaker@netcom.com (1994-02-16)
Summary of setjmp/longjmp responses hbaker@netcom.com (1994-02-17)
Re: Summary of setjmp/longjmp responses mueller@nu.cs.fsu.edu (1994-02-18)
Re: Summary of setjmp/longjmp responses pardo@cs.washington.edu (1994-02-18)
Summary of setjmp/longjmp responses meissner@osf.org (1994-02-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: meissner@osf.org
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 20:00:11 GMT

  > Thanks to those who responded re my setjmp/longjmp questions. ...
  > 1. No commonly used benchmarks depend upon setjmp/longjmp performance.
  > [If this is so, I'm amazed that setjmp/longjmp work at all! :-). ]

Given that the main loop of every shell I've ever seen includes a
setjmp call, and error situations are handled by longjmp'ing to the
setjmp'ed address, I would say it would become pretty obvious that
setjmp/long jmp wasn't working. It just doesn't have to work FAST.

Note on some systems, longjmp has to do a system call (typically
_sigreturn) in order to allow longjmp's from signal handlers to work
(the _sigreturn would clear out signal state).

--
Michael Meissner email: meissner@osf.org phone: 617-621-8861