Scanner generator design hints desired

dempsey@server.uwindsor.ca (Benjamin Wayne Dempsey)
Wed, 16 Feb 1994 22:45:21 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Scanner generator design hints desired dempsey@server.uwindsor.ca (1994-02-16)
Scanner generator design hints desired kanze@lts.sel.alcatel.de (James Kanze) (1994-02-17)
Re: Scanner generator design hints desired peter@csg.uwaterloo.ca (1994-04-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: dempsey@server.uwindsor.ca (Benjamin Wayne Dempsey)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 22:45:21 GMT

Hello!! I'm working on a project to develop a scanner generator and was
wondering if anyone could suggest a good data structure to hold the state
table generated. A simple 2 dim array is not what I want. Since I here a
lot of people discussing the DRAGON BOOK -- Compilers, principles,
Techniques etc. by Alfred V. Aho etc, I am curious to see if anyone could
decipher the table compression technique on page 145, fig 3.47 -- I don't
seem to understand it!!

Thanks.
[I'd spend a day or two reading the source code to flex, to find out how a
real industrial-strength scanner generator works. -John]