Re: Rewriting as a means for translating

schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (Joachim Schrod)
Mon, 7 Feb 1994 14:15:57 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Rewriting as a means for translating hbaker@netcom.com (1994-02-04)
Re: Rewriting as a means for translating schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (1994-02-07)
Re: Rewriting as a means for translating parrt@s1.arc.umn.edu (Terence Parr) (1994-02-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (Joachim Schrod)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 14:15:57 GMT

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry G. Baker) writes:
> In my experience, the idea of source-to-source translation by means of
> a simple rewriting system is always a loser. No matter how close the
> languages seem, there are always significant "gotchas".

I agree with you, but how do you find the idea of Terence Parr to use
a high-level specification of tree transformations?

It's described in his paper ``An Overview of SORCERER: A Simple
Tree-Parser Generator.''
        Available by anonymous ftp from the PCCTS archive
marvin.ecn.purdue.edu:/pub/pccts. European folks might want to use the
mirror at
ftp.th-darmstadt.de:/pub/programming/languages/compiler-compiler/pccts.

At least, I'm still waiting for the release of the SORCERER source...

Joachim
--
Joachim Schrod Email: schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de
Computer Science Department