Re: A question about Self

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Mon, 31 Jan 1994 02:00:14 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
A question about Self graham@pact.srf.ac.uk (1994-01-27)
Re: A question about Self mleone+@cs.cmu.edu (1994-01-27)
Re: A question about Self hoelzle@xenon.stanford.edu (1994-01-29)
Re: A question about Self pardo@cs.washington.edu (1994-01-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.lang.misc,comp.compilers
From: pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 02:00:14 GMT

graham@pact.srf.ac.uk (Graham Matthews) asks:
>[What languages do dynamic code generation?]

As a minor nit, runtime code generation is no more powerful than an
interpreter or any other Turing machine, so it's not really "languages"
that do RTCG but rather "language implementations." The usual reasons for
using RTCG are things like "we were going to have a compiler anyway, so
why also write an interpreter", "the dynamically-compiled code is faster
than interpreted code" and so on.

Mark Leone already mentioned a few systems doing RTCG. Below are
citations for a few language implementations that do RTCG or something
related.

;-D on ( Doing an interpretive dance ) Pardo

%Q Insignia Solutions
%T SoftPC Product Information
%D 1991

%A Peter M. Athanas
%A Harvey F. Silverman
%T Processor Reconfiguration Through Instruction-Set Metamorphosis
%D March 1993
%J IEEE Computer
%P 11-18

%A P. J. Brown
%T Throw-away Compiling
%I University of Colorado and The University of Canterbury, Kent
%J Software \- Practice and Experience
%V 6
%D 1976
%P 423-434

%A D. D. Chamberlin
%A M. M. Astrahan
%A W. F. King
%A R. Alorie
%A J. W. Mehl
%A T. G. Price
%A M. Schkolnick
%A P. Griffiths Selinger
%A D. R. Slutz
%A B. W. Wade
%A R. A. Yost
%T Support for Repetitive Transactions and Ad Hoc Queries in System R
%J ACM Transactions on Databse Systems
%V 6
%N 1
%D March 1981
%P 70-94

%A Craig Chambers
%A David Ungar
%T Making Pure Object-Oriented Languages Practical
%J OOPSLA '91 Proceedings; SIGPLAN Notices
%V 26
%N 11
%P 1-15
%C Phoenix, AZ
%D November 1991

%A Thomas W. Christopher
%A Ralph W. Wallace
%T Compiling Optimized Array Operations at Run-Time
%J APL 86 Conferance Proceedings
%C Manchester, England
%D July 1986
%P 136-141

%A Robert F. Cmelik
%A David Keppel
%T Shade: A Fast Instruction-Set Simulator for Execution Profiling
%R SMLI 93-12; UWCSE 93-06-06
%I Sun Microsystems Laboratories, Inc. and University of Washington
%D 1993
%W Available via anonymous ftp from `cs.washington.edu' (128.95.1.4)
in `tr/1993/06/UW-CSE-1993-06-06.PS.Z'
%X A much shorter version will appear in SIGMETRICS '94

%A Peter Deutsch
%A Alan M. Schiffman
%T Efficient Implementation of the Smalltalk-80 System
%J 11th Annual Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages
(POPL-11)
%D January 1984
%P 297-302

%A David R. Ditzel
%A Hubert R. McLellan
%A Alan D. Berenbaum
%T The Hardware Architecture of the CRISP Microprocessor
%J Proceedings of the 14th Annual International Symposium on Computer
Architecture; Computer Architecture News
%V 15
%N 2
%D June 1987
%P 309-319

%A Leo J. Guibas
%A Douglas K. Wyatt
%T Compilation and Delayed Evaluation in APL
%J Fifth Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages
(POPL-5)
%D 1978
%P 1-8

%A Gilbert Joseph Hansen
%T Adaptive Systems for the Dynamic Run-Time Optimization of Programs
%R Ph.D Thesis
%I Carnegie-Mellon University
%D March 1973

%A Urs Ho\\*:lze
%A Craig Chambers
%A David Ungar
%T Debugging Optimized Code With Dynamic De-Optimization
%J PLDI
%D 1992

%A Gerard J. Holzmann
%T PICO - A Picture Editor
%J AT\&T Technical Journal
%V 66
%N 2
%D March 1987
%P 2-13

%A Charles Johnson
%A David L. Fox
%T The Silicon Palimpsest \- A Programming Model for Electrically
Reconfigurable Processors
%D Proceedings of the Second and Third Annual SigFORTH Workshops
%C San Antonio, Texas
%D March 1991
%W ACM order #817811

%A Ronald L. Johnston
%T The Dynamic Incremental Compiler of APL\e3000
%I Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
%J APL Quote Quad
%V 9
%N 4
%D June 1979
%P 82-87

%A Philip J. Koopman, Jr.
%A Peter Lee
%T A Fresh Look at Combinator Graph Reduction
(Or, Having a TIGRE by the Tail)
%J ACM SIGPLAN 1989 Symposium on Programming Language Design and
Implementation
%V 24
%N 7
%D July 1989
%P 110-119

%A Cathy May
%T Mimic: A Fast S/370 Simulator
%J Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN 1987 Symposium on Interpreters and
Interpretive Techniques; SIGPLAN Notices
%V 22
%N 6
%C St. Paul, MN
%D June 1987
%P 1-13

%A J. G. Mitchell
%T The Design and Construction of Flexible and Efficient Interactive
Programming Systems
%R Ph.D. Dissertation
%D 1970
%I Carnegie-Mellon University

%A Thomas Pittman
%T Two-Level Hybrid Interpreter/Native Code Execution for Combined
Space-Time Program Efficiency
%D 1987
%J ACM SIGPLAN
%P 150-152

%A H. J. Saal
%A Z. Weiss
%T A Software High Performance APL Interpreter
%J Quote Quad
%V 9
%N 4
%D June 1979
%P 74-81

%A Brian Cantwell Smith
%T Reflection and semantics in Lisp
%J 11th Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages
(POPL-11)
%D January 1984
%P 23

%A Ken Thompson
%T Regular Expression Search Algorithm
%J Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery (CACM)
%V 11
%N 6
%D June 1968
%P 419-422

%A David A. Turner
%T A New Implementation Technique for Applicative Languages
%I Computer Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury
%J Software \- Practice and Experience
%V 9
%D 1979
%P 31-49

%A Eric J. Van Dyke
%A Kenneth A. Van Bree
%T A Dynamic Incremental Compiler for an Interpretive Language
%J Hewlett-Packard Journal
%D July 1977
%P 17-24