partial redundancy

hmcnair@pacific.urbana.mcd.mot.com (Henry McNair)
Fri, 28 Jan 1994 15:23:13 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
partial redundancy hmcnair@pacific.urbana.mcd.mot.com (1994-01-28)
Re: partial redundancy tthorn@daimi.aau.dk (1994-01-31)
Re: partial redundancy bill@amber.csd.harris.com (1994-01-31)
Re: partial redundancy preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1994-02-02)
Re: partial redundancy elimination knoop@fmi.uni-passau.de (Jens Knoop) (1994-02-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: hmcnair@pacific.urbana.mcd.mot.com (Henry McNair)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 15:23:13 GMT

Last summer I took a compiler class in Portland, Oregon. In the class we
discussed compiler optimizations, register allocation and code scheduling
for scalar/ sequential machines. I was rereading some of the notes from
the class recently (it was a cold night, I couldn't sleep, the TV was
busted and no beer in the refrigerator :-), and I came across a topic on
partial redundancy elimination. I began reading the notes more closely and
found it interesting. I'm in the process of getting the original articles:

    "Global Optimization by Suppression of Partial
      Redundancies" by Morel and Renvoise in CACM 2/79, and
    "Lazy Code Motion" by Koop, Ruthing and Steffen in
      SIGPLAN PLDI '92.

What I was wondering about is how effective is this (type of) algorithm
for global code motion verses something like 'invariant hoisting' in
loops. Could partial redundancy suppression be considered as a
generalization of invariant hoisting?

For compilers writers that have implemented one or both of these
algorithms, which technique produces better code in terms of loops and
straight line code - i.e. does the theory match the reality? (With all
the data flow calculations going on I wonder how many redundant
expressions are really suppressed with this algorithm verses simpler
methods.)
Henry McNair hmcnair@urbana.mcd.mot.com
Motorola, Inc.
1101 E. University Aveune (217)384-8583