Subject: Re: Language/Compiler for 8/16 bit processor?

munk@prl.philips.nl
Thu, 27 Jan 1994 11:15:58 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Language/Compiler for 8/16 bit processor? mago@legba.sunmexico.Sun.COM (1994-01-19)
Re: Language/Compiler for 8/16 bit processor? bazyar@netcom.com (1994-01-21)
Subject: Re: Language/Compiler for 8/16 bit processor? munk@prl.philips.nl (1994-01-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: munk@prl.philips.nl
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 11:15:58 GMT

I (re-)wrote a Tiny Pascal compiler, originally published in Byte in
oct-dec 1978. The compiler (written in BASIC) generated P-code, which
could then be either interpreted or compiled to 8080-code. The compiled
8080-code consisted of many calls to library functions, but the simpler
P-code instructions were compiled into a few 8080-instructions. The P-code
to 8080 compiler (also written in BASIC) did a peephole optimization
first.

This two-stage approach worked very well, especially since the the P-code
interpreter had some debugger functionality. I never did any useful work
with the system, except write 8-queens, knight's tour and mastermind
programs. And learned a lot about compiler construction.

Harm.