Problems with software for Fischer & LeBlanc Book

Spiro Michaylov <spiro@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Tue, 25 Jan 1994 05:53:31 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Problems with software for Fischer & LeBlanc Book spiro@cis.ohio-state.edu (Spiro Michaylov) (1994-01-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Spiro Michaylov <spiro@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 05:53:31 GMT

Hi Folks,

I'm currently evaluating the book "Crafting a Compiler with C" by Fischer
& LeBlanc for use in a course, and am interested in using the software
they distribute with the instructor's guide as a basis for the programming
assignments.

I'd be grateful for answers to the following questions from anybody who
has tried this:

1) Did it work well in your course? Is the code stable enough for students
      to be able to deal with it? Or is there something else that's easily
      available and works better?

2) What did the Benjamin/Cummings folks send you? Six 5.25" floppies with
      sources for IBM-PC Pascal, Modula-II and C? Or something more
      useful in a UNIX environment? If the floppies, did the second C
      disk actually contain the expected compiler development tools?
      Does the C version work under UNIX?

As is probably obvious, I'm about to struggle to get a coherent
distribution of this from Benjamin/Cummings, and just want to check in
advance that I'm not wasting time. Perhaps I could just get any replies by
e-mail and post a summary?

Many thanks in advance,

Spiro Michaylov,
Computer & Info. Science,