Multiline Comments

mps@dent.uchicago.edu (Michael Spertus)
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 14:29:11 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Handling EOF in lex & flex actions that call input() directly. greyham@research.canon.oz.au (1994-01-07)
Re: Handling EOF in lex & flex actions that call input() directly. vern@horse.ee.lbl.gov (Vern Paxson) (1994-01-09)
Multiline Comments mps@dent.uchicago.edu (1994-01-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mps@dent.uchicago.edu (Michael Spertus)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 1994 14:29:11 GMT

Perhaps this is not the appropriate venue but the problem of multiline
comments occurs in all languages. At Geodesic system we have the following
convention for C++. All comments begin //, never /*, and comment extensions
begin ///.

x = y; // A comment on this
y = z; /// extends to the next line
z = w; // A new comment.

The problem is that pretty printers and browsers are also consumers of
comments so they must be machine readable to some extent.

We also have the convension that //- is a stripable comment. That is
tools may introduce //- comments into a program and the editor can
strip them all out.