Re: Q: Error detection/recovery in LEX/YACC (Help)

collison@osf.org (Michael Collison)
Mon, 20 Dec 1993 16:05:18 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Q: Error detection/recovery in LEX/YACC (Help) friesend@herald.usask.ca (1993-12-17)
Re: Q: Error detection/recovery in LEX/YACC (Help) collison@osf.org (1993-12-20)
Re: Q: Error detection/recovery in LEX/YACC (Help) neitzel@ips.cs.tu-bs.de (1993-12-20)
Re: Q: Error detection/recovery in LEX/YACC (Help) neitzel@ips.cs.tu-bs.de (1993-12-23)
Re: Q: Error detection/recovery in LEX/YACC (Help) hage@netcom.com (1994-01-18)
Re: Q: Error detection/recovery in LEX/YACC (Help) neitzel@ips.cs.tu-bs.de (1994-01-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: collison@osf.org (Michael Collison)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1993 16:05:18 GMT

> I need a little help with error detection/recovery/repair in either or
> both of LEX and YACC (a little snippet of code, even just a few
> productions, would be tremendously appreciated! :).

If you're really interested in error recovery forget about using yacc. I
would suggest taking a look at the gmd tools also known as cocktail. The
toolbox is a suite of utilites for constructing compilers, translators,
etc. It has a LALR(1) parser called coincidently 'lalr'. The tool 'lalr'
features automatic error recovery. It can insert and delete tokens from
the input stream so that parsing can continue. Additionaly, it is claimed
the generated parsers run about twice as fast as yacc generated ones. They
also have a lexical analyzer called 'rex' that is also supposed to be much
faster than 'lex'. Check it out. You can get it from:

gatekeeper.dec.com:/pub/plan/gmd

--Mike

Michael Collison
Open Software Foundation