which tool to use?

walth@netcom.com (Walter Howard)
Tue, 30 Nov 1993 15:05:15 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
which tool to use? walth@netcom.com (1993-11-30)
Re: which tool to use? pcg@aber.ac.uk (1993-12-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: walth@netcom.com (Walter Howard)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1993 15:05:15 GMT

I have to add a language to a product I'm developing and have time to
build a good interpreter for it. However, I am at a loss at what is the
best tool. I'm working in an OS/2 environment and have yacc, lex and
something called LR available to me.

Since I'm a beginner in this area I don't have any backwards compatibility
problem in my wetware. I've written several interpreters before but they
weren't context free grammars, just verb first, followed by parameters for
each language statement.

The language I want to write would be C like with some added statements
relevant to the environment I'd be dealing with.

Anyway, any input from someone who knows the above products would be
greatly appreciated.

Walt Howard
[If you really want to write a C interpreter, you've assigned yourself a
rather large task. There are some reasonable interpreted extension languages
such as tcl available in source for free; look at those first. -John]