Internal debugger documentation

rpizzi@diego.llnl.gov (Bob Pizzi)
Tue, 23 Nov 1993 22:29:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: book on internals of debugger? lacey@zamboni.sps.mot.com (1993-11-22)
Internal debugger documentation rpizzi@diego.llnl.gov (1993-11-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: rpizzi@diego.llnl.gov (Bob Pizzi)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 22:29:47 GMT

This post is in reference to a discussion on debugger documentation..

lacey@zamboni.sps.mot.com (Mark Lacey) writes:
|> > Could anyone please recommand me a book/literature/course on internals
|> > of debugger.
|>
|> I'd suggest checking out "Understanding and Using COFF" as a starting
|> point. It is by Gintaras R. Gircys, and published by O'Reilly &
|> Associates, Inc. (ISBN 0-937175-31-5)

The AT&T Programmers manual has a chapter on COFF that adequately describes
it.

|> I've never seen a book on writing debuggers.

I have also not found any books on debugger internals.

...EXCEPT...

I have been writing a document describing the internals of the GNU
debugger, gdb. It is still in draft form, so I can not post it, nor place
it on anon ftp. But, I can reply to specific requests for the draft
version.

My document does not completely describe gdb though. Looking at the
source code solves that problem. Rather, my document explains the symbol
table, command structure, remote debugging and other details.

Basically, the document is a place to start and 'get a feel' for the
immensity of the code.

Please mail me if you would like a DRAFT version. When the doc is done, I
will post the info about where it is (anon ftp) and how to get a hardcopy.

bob
--
Bob Pizzi
Computer Research Group