Re: C prototypes

meissner@osf.org
Tue, 9 Nov 1993 18:39:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: C prototypes meissner@osf.org (1993-11-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: meissner@osf.org
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1993 18:39:10 GMT

|[P.J. Plauger has told me that during most of the standardization
|discussions, prototyped and non-prototyped functions weren't supposed to be
|interchangable. |I don't know when that changed. -John]

It was shortly before the first public review (or possibly the second).
Sam Harbison of Tartan Labs proposed it, and its been called the Miranda
rule, as a takeoff on the famous Miranda ruling in US law. The ANSI C
Miranda ruling goes like:

You have the right to fully prototyped code. If you cannot
afford a prototype, one will be appointed for you by the
compiler.

For non-US readers, the Miranda ruling goes like:

You have the right to a lawyer to represent your case. If you
cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you by the
court of law.

--
Michael Meissner email: meissner@osf.org phone: 617-621-8861