Re: Interprocedural analysis in Parallelizing compiler

preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Tue, 9 Nov 1993 02:17:38 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Interprocedural analysis in Parallelizing compiler kamal@cse.iitb.ernet.in (1993-11-05)
Re: Interprocedural analysis in Parallelizing compiler preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-11-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1993 02:17:38 GMT

kamal@cse.iitb.ernet.in (Kamal Prasad) writes:

> I am looking for a paper/method which does the foll:- In Fortran,
>one can specify in a call the dimensions of an array on which the routine
>will act. If we assume that the subroutine will act on the entire array,
>then this leads to a loss of potential parallelism. This loss is to be
>eleminated by evaluating the strip of array passed.

>The routine will evaluate the portion of array bounded by the values of
>the parameters. Any statement in the calling routine that modifies/uses
>portions of array A not being passed to abc can be executed in parallel
>with call statement.

This sort of analysis is called "array section analysis."
A paper is

    author="Vasanth Balasundaram and Ken Kennedy",
    title="A Technique for Summarizing Data Access and Its Use in
                                  Parallelism Enhancing Transformations",
    pages="41--53",
    journal=sigplan,
    year=1989,
    month=jul,
    volume=24,
    number=7,
    note=pldi89

where "pldi89" is the proceedings of the 1989 condference on
Programming Language Design and Implementation.

Preston Briggs