Program 1st Int'l AMAST Workshop on Real-Time Systems (Iowa, Nov 93)

scollo@cs.utwente.nl (Pippo Scollo)
Sun, 10 Oct 1993 19:03:28 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Program 1st Int'l AMAST Workshop on Real-Time Systems (Iowa, Nov 93) scollo@cs.utwente.nl (1993-10-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.databases.theory
From: scollo@cs.utwente.nl (Pippo Scollo)
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1993 19:03:28 GMT

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------- <
> <
> Enclosed is an up-to-date, plain-text version of the advance programme <
> of the First International AMAST Workshop on Real-Time Systems. <
> <
> A latex version of this program can be retrieved by anonymous ftp, with <
> any password, on host ftp.cs.utwente.nl, file RTWprog.tex in directory <
> pub/doc/amast93 (or, temporarily, in directory upload). <
> <
> If you wish to receive more information, or if you are interested in <
> attending the workshop (a limited number of places is still available), <
> then please contact Teodor Rus (e-mail: rus@cs.uiowa.edu). <
> <
> Giuseppe Scollo <
> <
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------- <

PROGRAM
First AMAST International Workshop on Real-Time Systems
1-3 November 1993, Iowa City, Iowa, USA

Organizing Committee:
Maurice Nivat, University of Paris VII, France
Charles Rattray, University of Stirling, Scotland
Teodor Rus, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Giuseppe Scollo, University of Twente, The Netherlands

Aim:

Dedicated real-time applications form one of the areas of great
practical accomplishment of current computer technology. Real-time
applications, however, bring to the fore new and intriguing questions
regarding program specification, verification, and development.
Correctness of solutions to the problems raised by real-time programming
is particularly important due to the catastrophic nature of failure
in real-time systems. This motivates the extensive work in the past
decade on the formal theory of specification, verification, and
development of real-time systems. At the same time, the AMAST movement,
initiated in 1989 and aiming to use algebraic methodology for the
development of software technology, has started to show practical
results. The goal of this workshop is to expand the AMAST results
to real-time system development, by:
1. Providing a forum for a dialog on the suitability of using
      algebraic methodology for real-time system development.
2. Tracing the directions of a unifying approach for real-time system
      development within the framework provided by universal algebra.
3. Promoting the integration of real-time system development within
      software technology based on the new algebraic methodology which
      is emerging from an AMAST approach.
It is the intention of the organizers to publish the research reported
at this workshop in a "Handbook on Real-Time System Development" in
the AMAST Series in Computing. The feasibility of this project will
be discussed in the special sessions scheduled during the workshop.
We invite contributions to these discussions and submissions to the
handbook from all attendees of the workshop.

All meetings of this workshop will take place at the Iowa Memorial
Union, room 256, Lucas-Dodge. Each talk presented at this workshop
will be 50 minutes long, followed by 10 minutes discussion.
Supplementary discussion time will be provided in special sessions.

Continental breakfast will be served each morning 8:30-9:00 at the
meeting room. Lunch will be served each day 12:30-1:30 in BF 236,
Second Floor, Iowa Memorial Union.
Research, ESPRIT Basic Research Programme, University of Iowa, and
University of Twente.

Monday, November 1-st, 9:00-12:30 Session 1

8:00-8:30 Registration and breakfast at conference room.
8:30-9:00 Opening address by Prof. David J. Skorton,
Vice President for Research, The University of Iowa.

1. 9:00-10:00 Finite Automata, Omega-Languages and Distributed Systems,
by Maurice Nivat, University of Paris 7, France.

10:00-10:15 Coffee break

2. 10:15-11:15 Issues in the Specification and Verification of
Telephone Systems by Luigi Logrippo, Department of Computer Science,
University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1N 6N5.

11:15-11:30 Coffee break

3. 11:30-12:30 On the Design of Timed Systems by Juan Quemada,
Departamento de Ingenieria Telematica, Universidad Politecnica de
Madrid, Spain.

12:30-1:30 Lunch break

Monday, November 1-st, 1:30-5:00 Session 2

4. 1:30-2:30 Visual Tools for Verifying Real-Time Systems by
Jonathan Ostroff, Department of Computer Science, York University,
4700 Keele Street, North York, Ontario, Canada, M3J 1P3.

2:30-2:45 Coffee break

5. 2:45-3:45 Integrating State Machines, Temporal Logic, and Algebraic
Models of Data by Armen Gabrielian, UniView Systems, Mountain View,
California, USA.

3:45-4:00 Coffee break

6. 4:00-5:00 Towards Full Timed LOTOS by Tommaso Bolognesi, C.N.R.
Instituto CNUCE, 36, Via S. Maria, 56100 - Pisa, Italy.

5:00-8:00 Dinner

8:00-10:00 Special session

Tuesday, November 2-nd, 9:00-12:30 Session 3

7. 9:00-10:00 Refining and Abstracting Time Information by
Steve Schneider, Oxford University, England.

10-10:15 Coffee break

8. 10:15-11:15 Real-Time System = Discrete System + Clock Variables,
Part I by Rajeev Alur, AT&T Bell Labs, Murray Hill, New Jersey, USA and
Tom Henzinger, Department of Computer Science, Cornell University,
Ithaca, New York, USA.

11:15-11:30 Coffee break

9. 11:30-12:30 Real-Time System = Discrete System + Clock Variables,
Part II by Rajeev Alur, AT&T Bell Labs, Murray Hill, New Jersey, USA and
Tom Henzinger, Department of Computer Science, Cornell University,
Ithaca, New York, USA.

12:30-1:30 Lunch

Tuesday, November 2-nd, 1:30-5:00 Session 4

10. 1:30-2:30 An Experience with the Formal Description in LOTOS and
Prototyping of the Airbus A320 Flight Warning Computer by
Hubert Garavel, VERIMAG, Miniparc-ZIRST, rue Lavoisier,
38330 Montbonnot St Martin, France and Rene-Pierre Hautbois,
Aerospatiale A/DL/EP, M 8621, 316 route de Bayonne,
31060 Toulouse cedex 03 France.

2:30-2:45 Coffee break

11. 2:45-3:45 Specification and Proof in Real-time CSP by Jim Davies,
Department of Computer Science, University of Reading,
Reading RG6 2AH, England.

3:45-4:00 Coffee break

12. 4:00-5:00 The Priority Inversion Problem and Real-Time
Symbolic Model Checking by Edmund Clarke and Sergio V. Campos,
Department of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University,
Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

7:00-9:00 Workshop-Dinner

Wednesday, November 3-rd, 9:00-12:30 Session 5

13. 9:00-10:00 Using Synchronized Transition Systems to Develop
Real-Time Software: An Experiment by Didier Begay, University of
Bordeaux I, LaBRI, 351, cours de la Liberation 33405 Talence, France.

10:00-10:15 Coffee break

14. 10:15-11:15 Verification of the Easylink Protocol by
Frits Vaandrager and Indra Polak, CWI and University of Amsterdam,
The Netherlands.

11:15-11:30 Coffee break

15. 11:30-12:30 Performance Analysis and True Concurrency Semantics
by Ed Brinksma, Joost-Pieter Katoen, Rom Langerak, and Diego Latella,
Department of Computer Science, University of Twente, The Netherlands.

12:30-1:30 Lunch

Wednesday, November 3-rd, 1:30-5:00 Session 6

16. 1:30-2:30 Using Iterative Symbolic Approximation for Timing
Verification by David Dill and Howard Wong-Toi, Department of Computer
Science, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA.

2:30-2:45 Coffee break

17. 2:45-3:45 Analysis, Synthesis, and Optimization of Real-Time
Systems in a Temporal Logic Framework by Dan Ionescu, Department of
Electrical Engineering, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada K1N 6N5.

3:45-5:00 Administrative matters and departure

General Information

All speakers at this workshop have been invited. Their presentations
represent some of the best known research directions in real-time system
development and we hope that their work will be of interest to a large
audience. So, we would encourage all those who believe that they can
benefit from these presentations to attend this workshop, to contribute
to the discussions, and to further the development of real time systems.

Location:

The conference will be held at the Conference Center of the University
of Iowa, Iowa Memorial Union. All meetings will be held in Room 256,
Lucas-Dodge, at that location.

Transportation:
1. The airport that services Iowa City is at Cedar Rapids, 25 miles
from Iowa City. The closest international airport from Cedar Rapids
is Chicago. Limousine services between Cedar Rapids airport and
Iowa City are available.
2. Interstate 80 is the easiest access route to Iowa City.
Exit 244, Dubuque Street, leads you to downtown Iowa City.

Climate:
It usually rains in Iowa City on November 1-st. However, considering
the amount of rain we have had so far maybe it will be sunny this time.

Registration:
Registration fees is $150; this includes the Workshop-Dinner, breakfast,
lunch, coffee and refreshments, and the program and other documents
distributed at the conference site. Student registration is $50 and
does not include the Workshop-Dinner.

Hotel Reservation:
For hotel reservation please call 319-335-3513, Iowa House, indicating
that you are attending the First AMAST International Workshop on
Real-Time Systems. A block of rooms have been already reserved for
you at $52-single and $58 double, a night. They will be assigned to
the attendees on the basis of first come first served. The alternative
is Holiday Inn - downtown Iowa City - which is within walking distance
from the Iowa Memorial Union. The number to call is 319-337-4058,
reservations. The Center for Conferences and Institutes is handling
the registration and the other arrangements. For more information
about reservation and registration contact:
Bobby C Davis or Lisa Barnes
Center for Conferences and Institutes
The University of Iowa, Iowa Memorial Union
Iowa City, Iowa 52242
Phone (319)335-3220

Note:
The University of Iowa does not discriminate in its educational
programs and activities on the basis of race, national origin, color,
sex, age, or disability. The University also affirms its commitment
to providing equal opportunities and equal access to University
facilities without reference to affectional preference. For additional
information on nondiscrimination policies, contact the Coordinator of
Title IX and Section 504 in the Office of Affirmative Action,
telephone (319)335-0705, 202 Jessup Hall, The University of Iowa,
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1316. If you are a person with disability who
requires reasonable accommodations in order to participate in this
program, please contact the sponsoring department at (319)335-3231
to discuss your needs.