Re: When to do inline expansion

ssimmons@convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Mon, 27 Sep 1993 21:42:43 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: When to do inline expansion jgmorris+@cs.cmu.edu (1993-09-21)
Re: When to do inline expansion jdean@bergen.cs.washington.edu (1993-09-21)
Re: When to do inline expansion salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1993-09-22)
Re: When to do inline expansion preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-09-22)
Re: When to do inline expansion cliffc@rice.edu (1993-09-22)
Re: When to do inline expansion rfg@netcom.com (1993-09-25)
Re: When to do inline expansion ssimmons@convex.com (1993-09-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ssimmons@convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 21:42:43 GMT

>Cons: Many commercial compilers did lousy jobs of optimization on giant
> procedures. Register allocators seemed to suffer a lot (no Sparc
> compiler I know of will use a window push/pop in the middle of a
> routine to spill registers). Call sites are a way for the
> programmer to tell the compiler: "Spill here".

It depends upon the optimizations performed by the compiler. Convex's
interprocedural compiler (Application Procedural Compiler) produced a 400%
improvement in one "real world" case because
it could chose the best loops for vectorization and parallelization through
loop interchange. This is just anecdotal.

Thank you.

Steve Simmons