Re: Operator-precedence v.s. LL(1)

spencer@cwis.unomaha.edu (Tom Spencer)
Tue, 7 Sep 1993 00:12:06 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Opeartor-precedence v.s. LL(1) ejxue@ntu.ac.sg (1993-08-28)
Re: Operator-precedence v.s. LL(1) tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk (1993-08-29)
Re: Operator-precedence v.s. LL(1) bart@majestix.cs.uoregon.edu (1993-08-30)
Re: Operator-precedence v.s. LL(1) spencer@cwis.unomaha.edu (1993-09-07)
Re: Operator-precedence v.s. LL(1) dww@cli.com (1993-09-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: spencer@cwis.unomaha.edu (Tom Spencer)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 00:12:06 GMT

bart@majestix.cs.uoregon.edu (Barton Christopher Massey) writes:

>P.S. -- What's the right word for the relationship between a
>grammar and its language? "parse"? "generate"? "derive"? I
>use "describe", but it would be nice if the world could agree on
>a terminology. I have found that the confusion between classes
>of grammars and classes of languages is endemic among novices
>such as myself, and a stricter terminology might help the problem...

Actually "parse", "generate", and "derive" are all used for different
things in connection grammars.

A string w can be derived from a grammar G if there are productions that
blah, blah ...

The language L(G) generated by a grammar G is the set of all strings that
can be derived from G.

Gammars never derive languages nor do they generate strings.

Parsing a string w that is in L(G) means looking at the derivation of w
and gettinging information out of the derivation.

I think that this terminology is all pretty standard.

I hope that this helps.

-Tom Spencer