Usage of G registers in SPARC

ramana@v01.svl.cdc.com
Thu, 2 Sep 1993 20:53:32 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Usage of G registers in SPARC ramana@v01.svl.cdc.com (1993-09-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ramana@v01.svl.cdc.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1993 20:53:32 GMT

I have a question regarding usgae of G registers
by C compiler on SUN SPARC-1.

When I mix C and assembly code I am having a problem
with which registers to save. For this I need to know
how the C compiler uses G registers. In the absence
of any information I am forced to save and restore all
the G registers, which is obviously very slow.

There is no problem with O,L and I registers. But some
of the G registers are corrupted after making call to
library (to printf etc.). Because of this I am
forced to save and restore all the G registers. Is there
a way out?

And what is the intended usage for G registers? Is it for
saving values across function calls? If so, how does the
compiler handle them?

Thanks in advance,

--- ramana@svl.cdc.com ---