Re: Macro processors

tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk (Trevor Jenkins)
Wed, 4 Aug 1993 19:57:12 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Macro processors gjditchf@plg.uwaterloo.ca (1992-10-21)
Macro processors psj@cix.compulink.co.uk (Peter Jefferies) (1993-08-04)
Re: Macro processors w.purvis@daresbury.ac.uk (1993-08-04)
Re: Macro processors tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk (1993-08-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk (Trevor Jenkins)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1993 19:57:12 GMT

psj@cix.compulink.co.uk writes:

>I'm looking for the source of any fairly powerful macro processors.
>ISTR there was something called ML (macro language), but the entries
>for ML in the catalog (just published) seems to be for something
>different.

What I think you recall is P J Brown's ML/I. This was, maybe still is, one
of the best macro processors ever written.

Back in my days as a DEC-10 systems programmer I remember that the sources
of ML/I were included in the DECUS library tapes. Though I remember that it
was not of itself difficult to implement. Brown wrote about some of the
ideas within ML/I in his book ``Macro Processors''.

If anyone still has the source of ML/I I would love a copy of it. It is
hard to use the C pre-processor or any other macro processor when one has
used ML/I.

--

Regards, Trevor.

Trevor Jenkins
134 Frankland Rd, Croxley Green, RICKMANSWORTH, WD3 3AU, England
email: tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk phone: +44 (0)923 776436 radio: G6AJG