Re: Algorithm for matching declarators in C++

Hendrik Boom <hendrik@vedge.com>
Tue, 29 Jun 1993 20:34:01 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Algorithm for matching declarators in C++ limweesi@iscs.nus.sg (1993-06-21)
Re: Algorithm for matching declarators in C++ hendrik@vedge.com (Hendrik Boom) (1993-06-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Hendrik Boom <hendrik@vedge.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 20:34:01 GMT

: [When type-matching in a C++ translator]
: My main problem for this example is that I don't know when I can
: convert a * declarator to a [] or vice versa. ...

The best I know of is Ellis & Stroustrup, the Annotated C++ Reference Manual.
In particular look at section 13.2, Argument Matching.

: ... What about other form of
: declarators { &, (), ::* } ? Do I also have to check on the const-ness
: and volatile-ness of each declarator, if so, how ?

Yes, you do, and there are "trivial" conversions that do that.
--
at work: hendrik@vedge.com, iros1!vedge!hendrik
at home: uunet!ozrout!topoi!hendrik