Re: When should software applications be programmable?

tchannon@black.demon.co.uk (Tim Channon)
Sat, 15 May 1993 02:11:05 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What is an interpreter? tdarcos@mcimail.com (Paul Robinson) (1993-05-08)
When should software applications be programmable? ipser@solomon.technet.sg (1993-05-13)
Re: When should software applications be programmable? tchannon@black.demon.co.uk (1993-05-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: tchannon@black.demon.co.uk (Tim Channon)
Date: Sat, 15 May 1993 02:11:05 GMT

>How do we determine when something is a "real" interpreter of a "real"
>language, and when it doesn't quite reach that point?

One boundary is the ability or not to create a standalone system based on
the same hardware or in other words there is a means even if rather long
and difficult of writing any program, including ultimately any other
language.

The language built into this very editor could do this because it has
adequate hardware access whilst a Pascal interpreter I have here probably
couldn't because it's world is severely limited so that it cannot violate
the boundaries of it's world. It facilitates limited creativity.

Does this mean that assembler is far more powerful than APL?

    TC.
        E-mail: tchannon@black.demon.co.uk or tchannon@cix.compulink.co.uk