Reference formals in Pascal.

ghiya@sally.cs.mcgill.ca (Rakesh Ghiya )
Thu, 15 Apr 1993 17:13:17 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Reference formals in Pascal. ghiya@sally.cs.mcgill.ca (1993-04-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ghiya@sally.cs.mcgill.ca (Rakesh Ghiya )
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1993 17:13:17 GMT

Hi all,

I wanted to know, how exactly the reference formals are implemented in
Pascal compilers : is the reference formal allocated space on the stack
which contains the address of the corresponding actual parameter, with
every access to the formal parameter being directed to the actual
parameter using this address (like dereferencing in C ); or is it
implemented in some other way ?

I would appreciate any feedback I receive on this.

Thanks a bunch,
Rakesh.

ghiya@cs.mcgill.ca
[I'm not aware of any other implementation with the required semantics.
Fortran arguments can be either reference or copy-in/copy-out, but Pascal
is not so forgiving. -John]