Re: Semantic actions in LR parser

wand@ccs.northeastern.edu (Mitchell Wand)
Wed, 7 Apr 1993 17:24:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Semantic actions in LR parser cosc19py@jane.uh.edu (1993-04-02)
Re: Semantic actions in LR parser roy@prism.gatech.edu (1993-04-02)
Re: Semantic actions in LR parser karsten@tfl.dk (1993-04-03)
Re: Semantic actions in LR parser mauney@csljon.csl.ncsu.edu (1993-04-05)
Semantic actions in LR parser clark@zk3.dec.com (1993-04-06)
Re: Semantic actions in LR parser wand@ccs.northeastern.edu (1993-04-07)
Semantic actions in LR parser clark@zk3.dec.com (1993-04-14)
Semantic actions in LR parser xorian@solomon.technet.sg (1993-04-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: wand@ccs.northeastern.edu (Mitchell Wand)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1993 17:24:25 GMT

clark@zk3.dec.com (Chris Clark USSG) writes:
> One curious feature which falls out, is that if you can detect two actions
> are the same you can execute the action even if the eventual reduces are
> parts of two distinct productions. That allows you to defer (and
> eliminate) some conflicts. (In our model, two actions are the same if
> they are character for character the same string.) Eliminating the pseudo
> productions, also means smaller state tables.

Ahh, this sounds like you've rediscovered a result similar to the one in

Brown, C. & Purdom, P. "Semantic Routines and LR(k) Parsers," Acta
Informatica 14 (1980), 299--315.

I suppose 1980 is before the beginning of time for a lot of folks.

I wonder if Chris could compare his results with the Brown-Purdom results.

--Mitch
--
Mitchell Wand
College of Computer Science, Northeastern University